Characterized by versatile imaging specs, the Canon EOS 80D further clarifies itself using a pair of robust focusing systems and an intuitive design. Featuring a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 6 image processor, this sleek DSLR is capable of capturing high-resolution images at up to 7 fps and Full HD 1080p60 video, both with reduced noise and high sensitivity up to an expanded ISO 25600 for working in difficult lighting conditions. When working with the optical viewfinder, an apt 45-point all cross-type AF system affords fast performance in a range of lighting conditions for tracking moving subjects and working in low light, while the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system benefits live view shooting and movie recording by providing a smooth, natural focusing quality akin to the way a camcorder acquires focus. Touch-to-focus is availed by the large 3.0″ 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD, which also sports a swiveling vari-angle design for working from high and low angles with ease. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi with NFC allows you to pair mobile devices with the camera to wirelessly transfer files for sharing your photos and movies online. More than just a well-connected DSLR, the 80D is equally matched in imaging versatility due to its inclusion of multimedia feature-sets for stills shooting and movie recording.
Included with the camera body is the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens, which offers a 28.8mm equivalent focal length. One Ultra-Low Dispersion element and one aspherical element control aberrations and distortions throughout the zoom range and an Optical Image Stabilizer minimizes the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. The lens also features a unique NANO USM autofocus system, which combines ring-type USM and STM focusing mechanisms to provide the focusing speed and accuracy required by photographers and the smoothness and quietness required by videographers.
24.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 6 Image Processor
Featuring a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 6 image processor, the 80D is capable of producing high-resolution imagery with notable clarity and minimal noise, as well as a native sensitivity range of ISO 100-16000 that can be further expanded to ISO 25600 to support working in low-light situations. The sensor and processor combination also avails fast performance throughout the camera system, including the ability to shoot continuously at up to 7 fps or record Full HD 1080p video at 60 fps in the MP4 format.
45-Point All Cross-Type AF and Dual Pixel CMOS AF Systems
Benefitting stills shooting with the optical viewfinder, a wide-area 45-point all cross-type phase-detection autofocus system provides quick and precise focusing in difficult lighting conditions down to -3 EV. For working with telephoto lenses fitted with extenders, 27 of the points are capable of focusing down to f/8 and the center dual cross-type offers increased precision at brighter aperture values. The cross-type design of the sensors affords greater accuracy in low-contrast and mixed lighting conditions, and the broad coverage of the 45 sensors is ideal for tracking and maintaining focus on moving subjects. Making use of the 45-points is a series of four AF area selection modes, including single-point AF; Zone AF, where you can select from one of nine AF zones; Large Zone AF, which offers a choice of three selectable zones; and 45-point AF auto selection, which allows the camera to select a single point automatically.
When recording video or shooting in live view, a Dual Pixel CMOS AF system is employed that offers smooth and fast focusing performance in a similar manner to how a camcorder acquires focus. This system integrates two separate photodiodes within each pixel to provide a broad and dense network of phase-detection gathering elements across a majority of the image sensor to reduce focus hunting for faster, more direct control of focus placement. When working with still imagery, this focusing system works to acquire focus quickly and accurately, making it ideally suited to shooting and tracking moving subjects so that critical focus is attained with each shot. When shooting video, a Movie Servo AF mode offers smooth and natural focusing when changing from different subjects or different distances within the scene, as well as the ability to specify tracking sensitivity, AF speed, and Face Tracking priority. Benefited by the Touch AF system, rack focus is possible simply by touching elements within the scene on the touchscreen in order to change focus in an intuitive manner. Subject tracking in movies is also heightened due to the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system’s ability to recognize subjects and maintain focus when working within changing or cluttered scenery.
Full HD 1080p Video Recording
In addition to stills recording, the 80D also supports Full HD 1080p video recording at up to 30 fps in the MOV format with ALL-I compression, or 60 fps in the MP4 format with IPB compression. Video recording is benefitted by the inclusion of Dual Pixel CMOS AF and the Movie Servo AF focusing functions, as well as the touchscreen design of the LCD monitor for intuitive control. Additionally, both headphone and microphone jacks are incorporated in the body design for advanced control over audio recording.
Unique to most video recording systems, the 80D also features an HDR Movie mode that can be used to achieve greater highlight and shadow detail when recording in high contrast scenarios. This mode captures two HD frames at different exposures, one normal and one underexposed, in short succession at up to 60 fps and then composites them during playback at 30 fps to create a movie with a longer-appearing dynamic range.
Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC
- 0″ 1.04m-dot ClearView II touchscreen LCD features a vari-angle design to permit working from high and low angles and the touchscreen design facilitates intuitive control over menu navigation and touch-to-focus operation.
- The pentaprism type Intelligent Viewfinder offers 100% frame coverage for high compositional accuracy when shooting at eye-level. Additionally, further aiding shooting with the viewfinder, AF points and mode, compositional grids, a horizontal electronic level, and other assistive features can be displayed during use.
- Both photos and movies can be wirelessly shared to smartphones or tablets, using the Canon Camera Connect app, for instant online sharing or backed up to the Canon Connect Station CS100 via built-in Wi-Fi with NFC connectivity. Remote shooting from a linked mobile device is also available, allowing you to wirelessly configure exposure settings or release the shutter.
- The high-performance shutter mechanism has been tested for up to 100,000 cycles.
EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens
Covering wide-angle to telephoto perspectives, the included EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is a 28.8-216mm equivalent lens designed for APS-C-format DSLRs. It features a NANO USM autofocus system, which combines the beneficial-for-stills Ultrasonic Motor and video-optimized Stepping Motor to create an all-around focusing system for multimedia shooters. The lens is also characterized by a four-stop-effective Optical Image Stabilizer, to minimize the appearance of camera shake, as well as Dynamic IS that reduces the effects of camera movement during video recording. One UD element and one aspherical element are featured in the optical design and the lens is also compatible with the optional PZ-E1 Power Zoom Adapter for natural, controllable zoom control.
Other Camera Features
- A 7560-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor benefits both autofocus and exposure metering precision and enables Color Tracking for more accurately detecting skin colors.
- An anti-flicker function automatically compensates for flickering light sources to provide consistent exposure values and color during continuous shooting.
- Time-Lapse Movie combines still photos taken at set intervals into a silent movie to depict motion that occurs over a long time scale.
- HDR effects are available for stills shooting, and can be applied using Natural, Art Standard, Art Bold, Art Vivid, and Art Embossed settings.
- Creative Filters can be applied to creatively refine the look of imagery, and include Grainy Black and White, Soft Focus, Fisheye Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Miniature Effect, Art Bold Effect, and Water Painting Effect. Five dedicated effects are also available for movie recording, an include Memory, Dream, Old Movies, Dramatic B&W, and Miniature Effect.
- Picture Style settings: Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Fine Detail, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, and User Defined 1-3.
- Language support: English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.